Gaming News

Hogwarts Legacy becomes the biggest Harry Potter game launch

Hogwarts Legacy has worked its magic.

Unsurprisingly, the new Harry Potter game, Hogwarts Legacy, is doing well, since it has become the biggest Harry Potter game in history within a week of its launch. As aspiring Gryffindors, Slytherins, Hufflepuffs, and Ravenclaws make their way to the school of witchcraft and wizardry in Hogwarts Legacy, the massive Avalanche RPG game has shattered a number of Twitch records.

The previous best-selling week for a Harry Potter game was the second week of sales for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, but physical sales of Hogwarts Legacy were 2% higher before accounting for digital sales.

Hogwarts Legacy’s first-week sales are 80% higher than Elden Ring in the UK

According to a report by, the sales of Hogwarts Legacy are 64% higher than those of 2001’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. The report compiles information from several UK merchants, which it gets from GfK. What’s more impressive is that the figure only covers physical sales for Hogwarts Legacy, suggesting that digital sales might put Hogwarts Legacy over double the launch sales of the Philosopher’s Stone.

It also notes that, compared to the last major fantasy game release, Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy’s week one sale were 80% higher. 82% of copies sold were on PS5, while the remaining 18% were on Xbox Series X. The game is also doing very well on Steam, where it is the best-selling game in many regions. However, exact sales numbers are not available.

Over the weekend, Avalanche Software’s open-world RPG came close to the all-time top of concurrent players, with SteamDB recording 879K users at once, behind only Amazon’s New World and FromSoftware’s Elden Ring. As of right now, this puts CD Projekt RED’s Hogwarts Legacy at position number eight on Steam’s all-time chart, behind only PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (at number one), the game Lost Ark (at number two), Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (at number three), Dota 2 (at position four), and Cyberpunk 2077 (at position five).

Hogwarts Legacy was popular even before its official release and hit a peak of 1,269,317 concurrent viewers on Twitch, breaking the previous record held by CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077 with 1,143,965 viewers.

Hogwarts Legacy is developed by Avalanche Software and published by Warner Bros. Games, the game was released on 10 February 2023 and is available on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.

What are your thoughts on Hogwarts Legacy? Let us know in the comments below!

Follow Daily Meta Dose on Twitter, Instagramand LinkedIn, or join on Telegram channel for all the latest updates on Video GamesMoviesTV SeriesAnime, and more!

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Back to top button